City Hall for All 2022
Over the next several months, the City of Kirkland will be making important decisions about how we plan for the future of our community. The decisions will cover many elements like housing options, community spaces, growing local business, and much more. It is essential to us that you are a part of this important work.
The city plans for the future by creating guiding documents that provide tangible actions for us to meet our expectations. The Comprehensive Plan is a guide for how we will manage growth over the next 20 years. The Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging Five Year Roadmap is a guide for intentional and focused work toward engaging and welcoming marginalized communities into civic participation. The process of implementing these two documents is an opportunity to reflect on the kind of community we aspire to become and how to achieve that vision.
We need your help! A critical step in this process is to see Kirkland’s future through the eyes of our community. The 2-hour symposium will consist of three facilitated discussions. Attendees will be invited to actively participate or just listen to the discussion. Topics include:
How we plan
- What does Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, & Belonging mean to you?
- What does it mean to be a belonging city?
How we live
- How do we meet your expectations on fair and accessible housing in the city of Kirkland?
- How do we make sure those living in affordable housing feel like they are a part of the community?
How we work
- What is the city doing to help small businesses and historically disadvantaged business owners?
- What are some of the ways a business can welcome a diverse client base?
Building an inclusive community includes elements such as helping people thrive by encouraging civility, combating racism, welcoming and celebrating all types of diversity, promoting safe and affordable housing, enabling participation in community services and local government, encouraging awareness and understanding of opportunities/limitations, and working for a more sustainable community for all residents.
This event is part of Eastside Welcoming Week. A full schedule of Eastside Welcoming Week events can be found at https://ericmembers.org/welcoming-week-2/.
Welcoming Week is sponsored by Welcoming America, a nonpartisan, nonprofit organization that supports local outreach efforts to build bridges between newcomers and long-time residents. This year’s national campaign is dedicated to fostering a more welcoming nation where everyone–regardless of their background–can feel they belong.
To request information from this document in another language, please contact Don Robinson at [email protected] or 425-587-3011.
• 如需此文件中信息的简体中文 版本，请发送电子邮件至 Don Robinson at [email protected] or 425-587-3011。
• Чтобы запросить перевод этого документа на по-русски, свяжитесь с координатором по вопросам Раздела VI по электронной почте [email protected] или по номеру 425-587-3011.
• Para pedir información sobre este documento en en Espanol, comuníquese escribiendo a [email protected] o llamando al 425-587-3011.
• Para solicitar informações deste documento em em português, entre em contato Don Robinson [email protected] ou 425-587-3011.