Welcoming Interactive Code of Conduct
A primary goal of the Welcoming Interactive: Inclusive Communities, Strong Economies is to be inclusive to the largest number of contributors, with the most varied and diverse backgrounds possible. As such, we are committed to providing a friendly, safe and welcoming environment for all, regardless of gender, sexual orientation, ability, ethnicity, socioeconomic status, and religion (or lack thereof).
This code of conduct outlines our expectations for all those who participate in our conference, as well as the consequences for unacceptable behavior.
We invite all those who participate in the Welcoming Interactive to help us create safe and positive experiences for everyone.
2. Open Culture Citizenship
A supplemental goal of this Code of Conduct is to increase open culture citizenship by encouraging participants to recognize and strengthen the relationships between our actions and their effects on our conference.
If you see someone who is making an extra effort to ensure our conference is welcoming, friendly, and encourages all participants to contribute to the fullest extent, we want to know.
3. Expected Behavior
- The following behaviors are expected and requested of all conference attendees:
- Participate in an authentic and active way. In doing so, you contribute to the health and longevity of this community.
- Exercise consideration and respect in your speech and actions.
- Attempt collaboration before conflict.
- Refrain from demeaning, discriminatory, or harassing behavior and speech.
- Be mindful of your surroundings and of your fellow participants. Alert conference organizers if you notice a dangerous situation, someone in distress, or violations of this Code of Conduct, even if they seem inconsequential.
- Remember that conference venues may be shared with members of the public; please be respectful to all patrons of these locations.
4. Unacceptable Behavior
The following behaviors are considered harassment and are unacceptable at our conference:
- Violence, threats of violence, or violent language directed against another person.
- Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
- Displaying sexually explicit or violent material.
- Personal insults, particularly those related to gender, sexual orientation, race, religion, or disability.
- Sustained disruption of community events, including talks and presentations.
- Inappropriate photography or recording.
- Inappropriate physical contact. You should have someone’s consent before touching them.
- Unwelcome sexual attention. This includes, sexualized comments or jokes; inappropriate touching, groping, and unwelcomed sexual advances.
- Deliberate intimidation, stalking or following.
- Advocating for, or encouraging, any of the above behavior.
Welcoming America reserves the right to determine what constitutes an inappropriate action.
5. Consequences of Unacceptable Behavior
Unacceptable behavior from any conference attendee, including sponsors and those with decision-making authority, will not be tolerated.
Anyone asked to stop unacceptable behavior is expected to comply immediately.
If a conference attendee engages in unacceptable behavior, Welcoming America staff may take any action they deem appropriate, up to and including a temporary ban or permanent expulsion from the conference without warning and without refund.
6. Reporting Guidelines
If you are subject to or witness unacceptable behavior, or have any other concerns, please notify a Welcoming America staff member as soon as possible. For easy identification, Welcoming America staff will have special ribbons on their name tags.
Additionally, the Welcoming America team is available to help conference attendees engage with local law enforcement or to otherwise help those experiencing unacceptable behavior feel safe. Welcoming America staff will also provide escorts as desired by the person experiencing distress.
7. Addressing Grievances
If you feel you have been falsely or unfairly accused of violating this Code of Conduct, you should notify Welcoming America with a concise description of your grievance.
We expect all conference participants (contributors, paid or otherwise; sponsors; and other guests) to abide by this Code of Conduct at all conference venues and events as well as in all one-on-one communications pertaining to conference business.
This code of conduct and its related procedures also applies to unacceptable behavior occurring outside the scope of conference activities when such behavior has the potential to adversely affect the safety and well-being of community members.
9. Contact Info
10. License and Attribution
This Code of Conduct is distributed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike license.
Portions of text derived from the Django Code of Conduct and the Geek Feminism Anti-Harassment Policy.